Ok so City2Surf has come and gone. I went into the run with a leg injury determined to finish the run. Within 2km of the start I felt like someone was stabbing my left ankle with a knife with every step. So I changed my plan to just walk as fast as I could so that I gave myself the best time possible at the end. At no stage did I contemplate giving up and not completing the run. I finished in 1:58:50 in 48,719 position out of 85,000 starters. I enjoyed the atmosphere, the costumes, the way some larger people can pour themselves into lycra and show off all the excess fat (on a positive note at least they participated). I was asked by friends if I had to do it all over again would I still do it with the injury and I said yes. It was great and I can't wait to do it next year:D After the finish line there is a photo of me with a big grimace on my face and that is how I felt. The pain in the leg was intense and I didn't have painkillers on me I had left them with my luggage, something I wont do next time. The bus and train journey back to my bags was not pleasant but such is life. The support of my team mates - Clare, Simon, Vicki, Tina and Avinash was amazing and I am grateful to them for helping me back to my bags. To say I was slow would be an understatement! So thank you all very much.
I broke my nutrition plan and ate pies. Yep they tasted good at the time but that voice in the back of my head kept screaming at me - what do you think you are doing? my other voice just said I am in pain go away!. So this proves I am human and make poor choices at times.
So now whilst I heal my leg I am strict with nutrition and doing whatever cardio I can that does not impact on my leg. I have lent a bike and started to use it.
So my journey continues with this injury just a bump in the road. I have signed up for city2sea with my daughter and that is in November. Just love to run!
Leaner
Treena
No comments:
Post a Comment