Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Fun Run and Bench Press

What a week! I have had some fantastic results. I am doing things at 42yrs that I have never done in my life. I  have run a 10km fun run in under 70mins and I have bench pressed 38kgs. 

I always considered my upper body as being weak. During my time training with Josh I have gone from the light bar with weights to the heavy bar and now the heavy bar with weights.  In my dreams I never imagined I would also be lifting dumbbells. Today I used the 17.5kg dumbbells, I have never ever lifted them before and today I was able to do a few reps. To then lift 70kgs on the lat pulldown machine just topped my workout. I am just so happy with my results.


On Sunday there were a group of Blitzers all lined up to do the 10km Rutherglen Muscat Run. When asking people's goals I was asked mine. I flippantly said 75mins, not really thinking I would achieve that goal. Then all of a sudden the gun fired and we were off, no warning, just the gun. Initially Lauren(daughter) and I were the back of the pack with the SES van right behind us. Gradually we worked ourselves up to fifth last. Hills, long slow hills, not my favourite running terrain. Well with each hill I really thought my time was shot and with no water stations in sight I was feeling not the best. Anyway we plodded on and then thought we had become delirious when we spotted a water station at the 6.5km mark. No it wasn't a mirage, it was real! We both enjoyed a drink before continuing on to the next lot of hills.  The funniest moment was the 3 old guys at the top of the last hill who said 'only 600metres to go' and 'those last hills are real killers aren't they'. We were too breathless to reply. Seeing Vicki, Glenda, Donna near the finish spurred Lauren and I on the last bit. I was surprised when everyone said our time was in the low 70mins range. Today I was blown away to see that we had run just under 70mins at 69min 21secs. I knew my fitness level had been improving but this was just an acknowledgment of how far I have come in the past 10weeks. I thank all the Blitz gang whom I consider friends for their support and encouragement over the last 10 weeks.

leaner
Treena

No comments:

Post a Comment